Wedding Professional Wednesday: Lori Barbely Photography

Your wedding photography is a very important component for your wedding day, not to mention your wedding memories. The photographer you select will be spending over half of the wedding day with you and your fiancé (new husband). Today's Wedding Professional Wednesday feature will introduce to you to a great Central Florida Wedding Photographer: Lori Barbely. Lori and I met a few months ago via Twitter, however, I've read her blog for nearly a year now. I finally got to meet Lori last fall. Lori has a great personality and she is a complete sweetheart. Joie de Vie selected her as one or our professionals to feature and I hope the information helps you to learn a bit more about her. I introduce to you Lori Barbely with Lori Barbely Photography:

Name: Lori Barbely

Name of your Company: Lori Barbely Photography

Location: Orlando area

Number of Years in Business: 3

Website: http://www.loribarbelyphotography.com/

Blog Address: www.loribarbelyphotography.com/blog

Twitter and/or facebook fan page:
Twitter
Facebook Fan Page

Tell us a little about your business and the services you offer:
I’m primarily a wedding photographer, but I also do a lot of travel photography (destination wedding anyone?). My approach to wedding photograph is 1) make amazing images of the client looking beautiful 2) make sure everyone has fun doing it! Each wedding is unique so in addition to the collections I offer, I can also customize a collection designed to meet the couple’s needs. High resolution digital files, canvas prints, and albums are just some of the products that I offer.

How did you get started in the Wedding Industry?
I’ve been doing photography for more than half my life and I was looking for a new challenge. After a lot of soul searching and blog perusing, I decided I wanted to try my hand a wedding photography. So I found someone in need of a second photographer and fell in love with shooting weddings. I love being around happy people of one of the most special days of their lives!

What professional/industry organizations are you a member of?
The Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA)
Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
Wedding and Portrait Photographers International (WPPI)


Any industry awards or recognition?
• First place ceremony category in WPJA’s 2008 Brides Magazine Photo Competition
• 1st runner up in the 2009 Flare National Photography Competition
(The Flare National Photography Competition is a competition where photographers related light to their subjects. They were judged based on creativity, use of composition, technical skill, and overall atmosphere of the image (including the relationship between light and the subject. The proceeds from this competition benefited the Children's Miracle Network.)

Furthest place and/or interesting place you’ve traveled to while working on a wedding assignment?
Big Sur, California

The craziest thing you’ve ever done to get “THE SHOT”?
Laid down in a huge puddle of mud (wearing brand new pants I might add!) It was at the end of the evening, so I didn’t spend the entire day covered in mud!

What is your signature shot? In other words if someone saw a particular shot they would immediately relate it to your company.
Each couple is unique and I try to create images that express their personalities and capture their emotions and the love that they have each other. That being said I do love a good bit of lens flare!

What are a few suggestions you would make to couples as they are selecting a photographer/photojournalist for their wedding?
Determine where photography falls into your priorities for your wedding and set an appropriate budget. Look at photographers web sites and find a style that appeals to you. Meet with your top three choices and see who you click with in terms of personality. Remember, you’ll be spending 6, 8, or more hours with your photographer on your wedding day so you ought to mesh well with them! Once you hire your dream photographer - trust them to do what they know how to do best - make great photos!

Your thoughts on ‘first look’ photos or bride and groom photos prior to the ceremony?
I adore first looks! I love the intimacy of a couple seeing each other (mostly) alone for the first time on their wedding day! For a couple to actually be able to talk instead of sneaking furtive glances across the alter, it’s something really special. It’s one of many moments throughout the day that I feel so honored to document a couple’s relationship.

Your thoughts on the importance of a coordinator in the vendor team dynamic?
A good coordinator keeps the day flowing smoothly and deflects any stress from the bride and groom. Having that single point person for all of the vendors to liaise with is tremendously helpful!


Something you would like to see couples do more of with their wedding photography?
First looks! It can sometimes be difficult to convince a more traditional couple (or their parents!) to see each other before the ceremony but in addition to being a memorable moment for the couple, it also allows more time (and more relaxed time!) for photos.

What are a few trends and innovations you have seen in the industry?
Photo booths are a bit thing right now and it’s exciting to see where that will go. I love love LOVE! the photo booth that Sasha Souza created that was featured on the Kiss the Groom Blog!

Are you a blog reader? If so, what are your three favorite blogs besides the Joie de Vie blog?
You’d probably pass out if you saw the number of blogs in my Google Reader! So hard to pick just three.....
Design Sponge
Kiss the Groom
Taste Spotting



If you weren't a working in this industry, what field would you be in instead? Why?
Photography is the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do. In addition to weddings, I also do travel photography and photo editing for magazines. I’m too obsessed with images to do anything else!

What would we be surprised to learn about you?
I hate sea horses. They freak me out. They’re prehistoric and don’t look like they should exist in nature! Kind of bizarre, I know.

Any hobbies or pastimes?
I love to travel - anywhere in the world - and I’m a huge reader! I just finished a book about the history of Chinese food in America.

Describe yourself or your services in four (4 words or less):
I am:
a believer
passionate
silly
adventurous
...and I feel that my photography reflects those things.


As wedding planner in Orlando based wedding and event planner, we look forward to meeting great vendors to refer to Joie de Vie Weddings & Events clients. Lori's passion, creativity and attention to detail translates to her work. Your wedding day goes by very quickly, after it is said and done your photos and video are what help you to relive the memories of your special day. Interview professionals like Lori as you begin to select a phenomenal photographer for your wedding day!

Until next time,


© 2005 - 2009 Joie de Vie Weddings & Events, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.

Comments

被リンク said…
Being around happy people of one of the most special days of their lives!

This is really a good job and beautiful life memory.
Joe said…
Lori Barberly does such consistent great work.
Joe
www.amoment2remember.com
After reading your blog, I thought your articles is great! I liked your articles and Photographs. Your blog is very useful to me. Here you are provideing such a greatful information.

Thanks for sharing.......

Popular Posts